Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wind, Wind and Walker Pass Resupply - Heaven.


Hello Sierra’s, mile 744. 

Up to 9 rattle snakes, 2 were close calls, one made me do a sweet dance and the second Jug and I had to distract him to get by. 
Big Jumpy rattler
 Jug is a 27 year old guitar playing young gun who carries a gallon jug with his water ALL the time, carries it in his left hand, even though he is right handed. He also has his little backpack guitar. He is a cool dude.
JUG

The WIND. The wind blew for 250 miles. It was clocked up to 65 mph. It was constant. You couldn’t do one thing without making sure things wouldn’t blow away (maps, water, stoves, tents) My tent broke, but fixed now. Hikers were literally blown off the trail, hiking sticks broke in half and many of us questioned our sanity. I am so glad to be out of that wind. Poor Wendy crawled into a ball and quit. I have heard she is back on the trail..good job Wendy. 

Never realized how precious water and shade is. My whole strategy for the past 700 miles revolved around water. I think most people know how important water is, but when it is scarce and you have to carry it through wind, heat and 2 desserts, its something. As for shade, walking through burned out areas you really begin to look for any bit of shade. So after our wonderful resupply from “Chief’s wife” (you all know who that is!) at Walker Pass, “Walking Home” (lives in Winthrop, WA) and I did 29 miles. We weren’t planning that many miles that day, but after a big climb out of Walker Pass and still NO water, we just hunkered down and walked until we found water and campsites! AAh, the South fork of the Kern River. Beautiful water. What a plus. Many of the 20 somethings were catching Golden Trout with their hands! It was a Water Party! We were all acting like a bunch of toddlers.

Walker Pass Resupply. Wow. Maureen did it this time. There was a bucket with water to wash our hands, battery operated shower, fresh, cold green salad stuffed with veggies, cold fruit, tri-­‐tip, garlic bread and beans. And then to top it all off, our neighbor, Dan the Postman’s amazing cheese-­‐cake cupcakes. Hikers came in throughout the day. There was Will and Roadrunner from Arizona, Recycle, Chip, Jug, Icebucket (from Finland) and Weeds (who had to get Medivaced out last year!!), Katie Jeans (hikes in bluejeans?), Fashionplate Dan, 5-­‐Star, Walking-­‐Home and Back Up (because he has a back up of EVERYTHING in his pack). Back Up said that Maureen had turned his worst day into his best day EVER. All the group that was at Walker Pass couldn’t stop talking about the Trail Magic that “Chief’s Wife” had left at Cameron Canyon out of the Tehachapi area (cold fruit, candybars, beer, water, soda, chips, and Loy’s amazing cookies!)
Walker Pass Resupply


Thanks DAN!  Cheesecake cupcakes
Then, FINALLY, Kennedy Meadows. A night late for the BIG PARTY (thank God) I’m calling it the Sierra Paloozza! It’s becoming a famous tall tale on the trail. That was the night a 55 year old Librarian got her TRAIL NAME..Canadian Mist. When I arrived at KM at 11am there was still Hiker Trash hanging out at the Breakfast deck hung over from the night before. I walked in and was quite the celebrity because of Maureen’s Trail Magic. I can go through the rest of the PCT without worrying about anything because every hiker is worshipping me after those 2 amazing Trail Magic drops. Then my eating fest began with a breakfast burrito, then double bacon cheeseburger with double fries, vanilla milkshake, and my own PINT of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. I’ve lost a good amount of weight and I’m sure I can share clothes with Shane now! After 5 hours of hanging with my trail trash gang, I started walking towards Horseshoe Meadows. Found a perfect campsite among the conifers and a stream to filter beautiful, clean, cold water. It was my very own Trail Magic.

Maureen picked me up at Horseshoe Meadows and gave Texas Poo (I’m not sure I want to know how he got his name?) and I a ride down to Lone Pine. If you are trying to hitch a ride into a trail town, and you are a man, you have to be alone or hook up with a “ride bride”, single girl hiker. Otherwise, you will never get picked up. So Texas Poo was a lucky man that day. It’s a long rode down into Lone Pine to the Post office for resupply. Then more eating for 2 days and then off again from Cottonwood Pass. The trail buzz is that Forester Pass is still a bit sketchy, but the first hiker out, Ned Tibbits (ski patrol mountaineer form Tahoe) cut the ice chute up to the top of the Pass out. He tries to be the first guy out every year and cut the safety passage over the ice chute. He walked the PCT in 1977 and this is his annual contribution. A welcome one for sure. JOAN, I added this tidbit just for YOU! Oh the memories we had on that ice chute!!!
I’m having a few zero days with Maureen in Lone Pine. My feet are great now. Thanks for all the recommendations from emails that Maureen has passed on. Everyone’s feet are different and what works for some, doesn’t for others. But on Rik’s recommendation, toe socks were the miracle for me. 
Toe socks!


Apparently my toes cross each other and rubbed...the socks did the trick. I’m eating lots for 2 days and taking multiple baths. Ari (Shane’s best buddy and roommate) is joining me for the walk from Cottonwood Pass to Mammoth. Mile 744 to mile 901. The Sierra’s are the most welcoming site so far. No more Trail Angels and no more Trail Magic, except for the Magic that the Sierra’s already has. The Sierra’s have always held a special bond for me. I’m excited about having campsites and water, and a bit nervous about some of the high passes. I’ve walked this section before and it is most beautiful. This first section was a bitch, but it’s done.
Bestie's Trail Magic

Post Office at Lone Pine - Texas Grit


Thanks to Dana for the last Trail Magic. Cookies are GONE. Gone within about 5 minutes. The Lone Pine Post Office was quite the buzz with your cookies. Many of the hikers were there to collect their boxes. Texas, not to be confused with Texas Poo, ate about 10 cookies in about 30 seconds. A big thanks to Greg and the Phelps who will be my next Trail Angels with resupplies out of VVR and northern California. It’s always nice to see friends and I really appreciate all your help and support.

Hello to my family. I think of you all often. Shane – BE careful. Bad Fire Season. Erin – I’m walking North, your way, would love to see you and Danny.

Maureen will include some pics. I’m not the photographer but will have Ari along side to take some Sierra pics in my next segment. I’ve also included a link to fellow PCT hiker, Craig. He has a great planner guide for the PCT and some nice pics. Included a blog of his from a while back at Warner Springs. Shane was walking at that time. 
Enjoy. http://lunky.com/pct2013/2013/04/25/

A memorable resupply at Walker Pass

Next update at mile 901 – Red’s Meadow out of Mammoth.

Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment